Before you begin your online teaching job search, here are some things to think about:
Online education is a demanding profession that is often a 24x7 job. While it is incredibly flexible (you can work from anywhere you have an internet connection!) it's also an "always on" job that rarely offers vacations or days off. If you love to teach, and enjoy the flexibility of working from anywhere in the world, this may be a great profession for you!
- Curriculum Vitae (not a resume! This is very important! I will write about the differences below)
- Cover letter geared towards online education
- Letter of references (many job sites require you to upload them)
- 3 to 5 references, with most of those having a doctorate or professors themselves
- A passion for education!
- Unofficial transcripts scanned into PDF format, separately.
- Certification in a learning management system (LMS) like Blackboard
- A teaching credential
- Experience (though it helps get jobs, so the first is the hardest to get)
- A certification in online education
- A doctorate (it is preferred but not always required, in fact more than 40% of the jobs we find and send as job leads do not require a doctorate)
If you want to begin your job search as an online professor, here are some tools for your online teaching toolkit you will need to get started:
Perhaps just as important - what you do not need. There are lot of misconceptions about what you need and do not need to get an online teaching job. You do not need: